Step 1 – Discovery Class
- explain what we do at Autism Education & Resources (formerly the East Texas Autism Network).
- provide an overview of the signs and symptoms of autism.
- provide next steps for those who have already received a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
This class is for the parents/caregivers of children who are concerned their child may have autism, adults only, no children will be permitted. The registration fee is $12 per person. Classes are held the first Wednesday of each month from 12:30-1:30 pm.
Upon completion of the Discovery Class, you will be given an opportunity to register for an individual consultation for your child with Champions’ AER coordinator.
Register using Eventbrite. Contact us if you need to make other payment arrangements, 903.592-1454.
Step 2 – Consultation
Champions’ AER program will guide parents in the individual consultation to the appropriate specialists.
- The individual consultation consists of an intake meeting – interview with parents/caregiver interview to gather basic developmental and physical information about your child.
- Following the intake meeting, parents will be referred to the appropriate specialists for an accurate and comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis. (Typical specialists include: psychological, psychiatric, speech, behavioral, and occupational therapists. The list of diagnostic specialists will vary with each child.*)
- AER may provide referrals to the child’s school district and request formal evaluation to begin Early Intervention Services when appropriate.
*Provider visits are not covered by Autism Education & Resources at Champions for Children or East Texas Autism Network.
Step 3 – Care Team Conference
Once the evaluations are completed, AER will organize a final meeting, the “Care Team Conference,” between parents and specialists.
- This meeting will result in a comprehensive and firm diagnosis.
- With a firm diagnosis, parents are prepared to initiate or continue appropriate treatment.
Your journey toward “Planting Potential” is underway.